What do we see on the risk map?

Fireworks is the collective name for rapid-burning, light-emitting and often loudly-banging substances in paper sleeves, which often contain gunpowder. There are two categories of fireworks: consumer fireworks and professional fireworks. Fireworks sold for New Year celebrations are consumer fireworks.
The risk map shows the locations where more than 10,000 kilos of fireworks are stored, treated or sold. These may be both consumer or professional fireworks. Most sales points of consumer fireworks have a smaller stock and are therefore not shown on the risk map.

What is the risk?

The risk occurs if many stored fireworks ignite and explode simultaneously. An explosion results in a pressure wave, enormous heat and fire and flying debris that poses a danger. An explosion only occurs if the fireworks are stored without the prescribed transport packaging.

What can you do yourself?

A fireworks explosion starts with a fire. If you see a fire:

  • do not go and look;
  • call 1-1-2 if this has not yet been done;
  • follow the instructions of the emergency services (police, fire brigade, ambulance);
  • leave the scene of the fire and smoke with a damp cloth placed in front of your nose and mouth;
  • ensure that children and people who need help to flee are helped to leave as soon as possible;
  • never enter a burning building.

Following an explosion:

  • you will hear the siren or sound trucks in the street;
  • listen to the rampenzender;
  • follow the instruction of the authorities and the emergency services.

Risks in your area?

What safety measures are there?

The Netherlands has strict rules for the storage, treatment and sale of fireworks. There are also strict requirements regarding the minimum afstand [distance] between a fireworks company and the surrounding buildings.
The province grants environmental permits to the fireworks companies on the risk map following advice from the regional fire brigade. The companies are responsible for safety on site and the province checks whether they comply with the rules.

More information

  • general information about what to do in the case of a major fire can be found at;
  • vragen en antwoorden [questions and answers] about fireworks can be found on the website of the Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment.